Moving Tips from Ilenna
- Check the reputation of your moving company. Make moving arrangements as far as ahead of time.
- Make sure you are allocated the right truck size to accommodate all your belongings so as to avoid several moving trips. Most movers charge by hour, so it is to your benefit to fit everything into one truckload.
- Notify utilities (electric, gas, water) when to discontinue service at the home you have sold and to start the service at the home you have purchased. (Not necessary for condominiums where utilities are included. Property Management should be notified regarding your maintenance fees' cutoff date.)
- Book the elevator when moving into or out of a condominium building
- Register with property management regarding your move in for condominiums. If a parking spot is included, your vehicle should also be registered. In many condominiums where there are recreational facilities, the occupants may have to obtain access cards and photo ids for using the rec center.
- Make new arrangements in advance for all services at your new home - Notify telephone, cable,cellular phone, internet service provider, landscaper, snow removal, and secuirty alarm monitoring companies of the move.
- Make new arrangements in advance for home insurance for your new home , and to discontinue coverage for the home you have sold after closing
- Change address for vehicle registration, driver's licence, OHIP, bank accounts, credit cards, charge accounts, department store accounts, insurance agencies, doctor's ofice, dentist's office, income tax, family allowance, old age secuirty, pension plan, employment insurance,maternity benefits, schools, library registration, newspapers and magazines,
- Notify post office of the change of address. You can extend the mail forwarding service for another six months after it has expired after half a year.
- Ensure all packing boxes are taped closed. Mark cartons on top and on the side for easy identification. Mark down which rooms the cartons should be placed in . If moving to a multilevel house, it would be wise to mark clearly which level. If moving to a condominium high rise with a locker on the underground level, make sure you mark down which items go to the locker and let the movers pack them together in the truck for easy unloading.
- It is easier to move if the dresser drawers are emptied and all drawers taped.
- Check the attic, basement, garage, laundry room , inside closets and cabinets for forgotten items.
- Final Moving Day Check:
- All meters read
- lights turned off
- windows and doors shut and locked
- keys and remote controls left as agreed with new occupants
- garbage disposed
browse Ilenna's listings at :